Spice Girls are such a big part of our childhood. They’re a 90’s classic and a pop sensation. If you were born in the 80s or 90s you probably spend a fair share of your time dancing around and pretending to be one of the Spice Girls, singing Wannabe. We don’t blame you, we all did this. You also probably fought with your friends about which of you is which Spice Girl. But let’s test your knowledge of Spice Girls. We bet there are some things you never knew about them, or perhaps have long forgotten. Here are 15 facts about Spice Girls, let us know which ones you remembered and which ones were a complete newsflash for you.
1. Do you know how the Spice Girls were formed? There was a casting call for a girl band in a magazine that said “R.U. 18-23 with the ability to sing/dance. R.U. streetwise, outgoing, ambitious and dedicated?” It would never work in 2018, but it was the 90’s, it was a different time.
2. Spice Girls weren’t always called Spice Girls, at the very beginning of their career, they were called Touch.
3. You know the girls best as Posh, Baby, Sporty, Ginger, and Scary but they didn’t come up with those themselves. Some writer on Top of the Pops magazine wrote this and it stuck.
4. Their most successful, most recognizable and probably everyone’s favorite song Wannabe was written in 20 minutes flat.
5. Remember that bit at the beginning of the music video for Wannabe where a very posh family gets out of the car? It could’ve been Tony Blair. Spice Girls invited him to be in the video but he refused.
6. In case you couldn’t tell, the video for 2 become 1 wasn’t actually filmed in New York. It was all blue screen.
7. Similarly the video for Viva Forever wasn’t supposed to be animated, but in the end – that was the only solution because at this point the band was so busy they literally didn’t have time to film a music video.
8.The first thing most Spice Girls bought for the money they earned was a house for their family, their parents or siblings. Geri, however, bought a second-hand red convertible.
9. That famous Union Jack dress was just mean to be a black mini dress, but Geri thought it was boring, so she literally sewed on a Union Jack to the front. The peace sign was added after her stylist said that without it the flag might look a bit racist.
10. Spice Girls always wore clothes that anyone would be able to afford. It was never anything super expensive or designer. That was a decision they made on purpose. They wanted their fans to be able to dress like them.
11. All Spice Girls come from very regular families, none of them had a clue what game would be like. Most of their parents worked in a customer service job and couldn’t even imagine their daughters would become world famous stars.
12. Both Sporty and Ginger Spice have talked about how they were suffering from eating disorders at the peak of their fame.
13.The Chinese symbol tattoo Sporty Spice has on her arm means “strength” and “woman”. So basically girl power.
14.When Geri Halliwell, or Ginger Spice, decided to leave the band the girls didn’t believe her. So when she didn’t turn up to a TV appearance they all just pretended she was sick that day.
15. There are rumors that Spice Girls have signed contracts for a reunion tour! So basically keep your eyes peeled for more news if you want to see them live again.